Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Laundry

This is something that I worried about before we came to Europe.  I was told that they don't use dryers.  I even changed my kids' wardrobes to easy dry materials just because of this.  A family of 6 with no dryer, yep that would be tricky.

Okay, so the logistics.  We have a washer in our apartment.  Thank you host University.  However, it takes time to wash.

Now when I say time I mean 2 hours to wash one load.  Yep, 2 hours and my neighbor tells me it takes her 3 hours so I guess I am lucky for 2 hours.

The first time I did a load of laundry I thought I had done something wrong.  I don't read Italian washer settings that well and thought I had just read it wrong.  However, when I checked with the office because no way could it take 2 hours, they told me that was about right.

We must plan to do laundry now and I think I have figured it out.  I do one load in the morning and one load at night when we go to bed.  The washers are smaller here as well.

Okay now on to the I want.  I want a dryer.  Yep, we hang our laundry out to dry.  Well, this would be okay with just 2 people, but with a family of 6 it can get tricky.  Plus it has rained almost everyday we have been here.

We have learned to dry on our deck and in our apartment.  One time we had two loads hanging in our apartment with a fan on.  In the sun outside it takes about 4 hours to dry in the apartment on a rainy day about 12 hours.

 Yep to get a load done it can take about 14 hours total.  I want a dryer.  I can go to the next town over and I can dry a load for about $6, but the budget girl that I am knows we will only do this if I have to.

Chef C told me he doesn't like to wear rough clothes.  A dryer makes clothes soft and fluffy.  Chef C is my laundry guy.  He helps me hang the laundry and fold it.  Chef C did say though he likes folding laundry better in Italy because it is already in half on the line all he has to do is fold it one more time and done.  We will adjust to crunchy clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment