Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Agent P's Eagle Scout Project

With our trip to Italy on the horizon, and the need to find an Eagle Scout Project, we thought we'd kill two birds with one stone (#SeeWhatIDidThere? #PunIntended) and teach English in Italy as my project. I figure that be teaching English, I'll also be able to get to know people in Italy, and experience what it's like to be Italian even more than just sight-seeing.

So, we separated the project into 3 parts:

1. Put together English-teaching materials for youth in Italy. For this part, I put together an Italian Culture Night for youth in Indiana (most of whom were from my Church). We spent hours going to restaurants and stores to ask for donations to support the event. In the end, Olive Garden offered to cater the event with Bruschetta and Salad, and Papa John's chipped in several pizzas. We also got gift cards from Kroger, Walmart and Sam's Club to buy materials and extra food. We actually completely bought out the entire selection of Gelato in the 3 Krogers in our area (sorry West Lafayette, it was good though!) At the Italian Culture Night, we had a returned-missionary speak about Italy, my dad and I made a video, and I led the youth in making flash cards.





2. Gather book donations. I went to bookstores and the local libraries, and left two donation boxes in my Church to gather lightly used youth books. We ended up getting several dozen books (almost 50lbs!). Now we have to figure out how to divvy the books out into each of our suitcases to get them to Italy.

3. Teach English. This part is next, and I'm looking forward to it. We've been working with our Church (the LDS Church) in Italy to set up youth activities in learning English in Italy. We'll also be going into the local elementary school where we're living to work with the kids there on their English skills. 

When we're done, I'll have to work feverishly to get this all written-up for the Boy Scouts and turned in before January 1st. 






No comments:

Post a Comment